by Ray Larson
We’ve talked about a number of great day trips on the beautiful island of Virgin Gorda, but one place you absolutely have to visit during your stay with Sunset Watch Villa is the island’s North Sound. With an abundance of spectacular resorts, restaurants and bars all surrounded by serene beauty, Virgin Gorda’s North Sound offers travelers all kinds of activities and exquisite dining options.
You’ll find only two roads that lead to the North Sound with access to Leverick Bay and Gun Creek, but the area features countless marinas and places to pull a dinghy right onto the beach. Virgin Gorda’s North Sound is a boater’s paradise, with a plethora of sailing and deep-sea fishing excursions available from the resorts and private companies like Big Ting and BVI Fishing Charters. The area is famed for Blue Marlin, and you’ll also find Bill fish, tuna, Wahoo, Mahi-Mahi and snappers.
Resorts in Virgin Gorda’s North Sound
The North Sound is full of gorgeous resorts, all of which offer relaxing and fun activities like high-class spa treatments, windsurfing, sea kayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving and jet skis. Check out some of the action at these resorts:
- The Bitter End Yacht Club: Enjoy fresh fish in one of the resort’s dining options, which include a vibrant pub, delightful clubhouse or ravishing buffet. Don’t forget to check out the luxurious yachts on site.
- Biras Creek: This resort is located on one of the most remote and beautiful places on the island. Biras Creeks rests between two hills on a narrow strip of land, and it offers three breathtaking views of the pristine North Sound lagoon, Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea. You can also enjoy a quick and delicious meal at Fat Virgin’s Café.
- Leverick Bay: You can enjoy a variety of activities at Leverick Bay, including shopping, water sports, tremendous dining experiences, fishing tours and spa treatments.
Places to visit in Virgin Gorda’s North Sound
The North Sound is full of beautiful places with magnificent views you can enjoy on foot or by sea. A few unforgettable places include:
- Gun Creek: Hike up Gun Creek for a panoramic view of the surrounding area and to experience an authentic Caribbean village. Once you reach the plateau, you’ll find a wide range of unique bars and restaurants.
- Eustatia Island: This is one of the best places to snorkel on the island, as Eustatia Reef creates a marvelous white surf matched only by the underwater creatures below.
- Necker Island: Home to Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Mobile fame, Necker Island is a once-in-a-lifetime place to explore, stay and play.
- Mosquito Bay: Recently purchased by Google’s Larry Page, Mosquito Bay is a great place to drive your boat and enjoy the spectacular scenery.
As you plan your Sunset Watch Villa vacation, make sure to carve out a day or two to spend exploring Virgin Gorda’s North Sound. You’ll be blown away by the unforgettable scenery and spectacular company at all of the resorts, bars and restaurants.