by Ray Larson
During your Sunset Watch Villa vacation, we highly recommend you make a day trip to Saba Rock in Virgin Gorda’s North Sound. This famous area is a leading Caribbean destination for celebrities and yachters, and despite its small area (just an acre and a half of land) Saba Rock packs a long list of fun activities for travelers of all ages.
Saba Rock is located entirely in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda and features a luxurious over-the-water lounge bar and restaurant, a 10-slip marina, gardens, a sun deck and an eight-bedroom hotel. You can dock your boat right in the marina or call the Saba Rock shuttle (1-284-495-7711) to schedule a pick-up at any dock in the North Sound.
The rock is surrounded by serene views of the North Sound and beautiful clear blue waters. Saba Rock has become one of the most popular places in the British Virgin Islands to enjoy a cold drink and magnificent meal. The restaurant offers a lounge and dinner menu featuring the freshest fish you can find, including local conch and lobster. In addition to succulent meals and relaxing drinks, Saba Rock also offers travelers a long list of available activities, such as:
- Kiteboarding: This area was made famous by legendary American big-wave and kitesurfer, Pete Cabrinha. Saba Rock is one of the top destinations in the world to test your skills, or you can even learn how to kitesurf among the beautiful scenery.
- Sailing/Windsurfing: The calm trade winds surrounding Saba Rock make it easy to learn how to sail, and the clear blue waters matched with pristine landscapes make every sail extremely enjoyable. You can find an abundance of available rental options, from Hobie Cats and wind surfers to larger sailboats.
- Snorkeling: The Eustatia Reef is located next to Saba Rock and provides snorkelers with unforgettable underwater scenes. Snorkelers will spot an array of Caribbean sea life including, turtles, rays, octopus, lobster and a wide range of colorful fish.
- Kayak/Paddleboard: Rent a kayak or paddleboard and see through the clear blue waters for a spectacular BVI experience.
- Pub Crawl: Either take your own boat or ride the Saba Rock ferry with other guests for a pub crawl around the North Sound. This is one of the best and most fun ways to experience the unique lifestyle in the Caribbean.
As you’re planning your Sunset Watch Villa vacation, make sure to include Saba Rock into your daily plans for a firsthand look at the best Virgin Gorda has to offer.